Saturday, October 18, 2014

Saturday 18th October - Johnny is HOME

Finally, and I mean finally - Johnny was discharged from ICU to come  home.  Friday evening.

Home is a fabulous word - say it out loud to yourself.  "Home".  Home is one's base, comfort zone,  castle, kingdom, where no one can touch, prod,  wake you up at all god hours for surgery, temperature checks, blood checks, bleeping machines constantly going all night.   "Home".  Johnny is thrilled to be home.

We are now set up for 10 day's of intravenous antibiotics as well as oral.  Johnny has his P.I.C.C Line inserted.  The nurse came this morning, explained what I will be doing.  Yup I finally get to be a nurse, without the outfit . . .

Incredible set up.  Sutter Home Infusion want the patient and care-giver to be comfortable at home.   They will take weekly blood work,  co-ordinate with the doctors, change dressing, be on call 24-7.  

Late last night medication was delivered,  two large boxes one for the fridge and one for room temperature.  I peeked in, an array of goodies.  Snapping the box shut I did not want to know, until the nurse arrived in the morning, upon arrival,  she  matronly gives me a tray.  I look at the tray which has  several pictures for explanation and instruction.   Alcohol Syringe Saline Flush Medication Cleaning Saline Flush.   Big FAT Syringes. I can't just push the medication, after I open  up the line I have to with syringe in hand push wait push wait push slowly-slowly into the P.I.C.C  Line.  Johnny is ever so patient.

Completely overjoyed Johnny is home, but I am sorry zero visitors.  We cannot jeopardize his immune system, he is weak and slow and spends his time sleeping.  We have to allow him the rest.  

Keep sending the emails and Halloween photographs he loves to see them.

Once again my Rock Kavie von Husen - has been with Johnny and I every day all day for these last 5 days.  I would not have made this horrendous week without her.  It's not just the medical support and following up with the doctors, I caught her today folding our laundry, cleaning, putting items away for me.  Running the medical errands and picking up for me.    Cuddling Bubble n Squeak and Dragonfly & Jellyfish.  




No comments: